Tuesday, July 11, 2006

World Cup Wrap Up


I've never been a fan of sports. My wife cites my lack of interest as one of my most charming qualities. If only she had graced my junior high P.E. class with her presence, the screaming from my teammates might have chipped away my self esteem at a slightly slower rate.

Do you remember being 13? You're not a child anymore but not you're not quite an adult. Britney Spears wrote a song on the subject. Surprisingly she was 20 at the time but I guess some of us bloom later than others. Anyway, pretend you're 13 again; pimply, voice changing, sprouting new hair and trying to find your place in the world. Add to that volatile mix the knowledge that you are totally incapable of catching a ball.

It may not seem like a big deal but imagine that knowledge sweeping over you as a pop fly descends on your exact location. The entire P.E. class is watching you. Half the kids pray that, against all odds, you'll manage to finally catch one. The other half can't wait to mock you and your dropping balls. Hmm, there's probably a better way to say that. Is it called fumbling? I don't even know. I'll stick with ball dropping.

World Cup Soccer is the biggest sporting event in the world if you're willing to include the opinions of Africa, Asia and South America. I'm not, too little America in those places. Despite my best efforts I couldn't avoid exposure to the World Cup hype. Commercials invaded my TV touting Soccer's ability to bring conflicting groups together. I was skeptical of the games power but I'm now a believer. Through the World Cup I've managed to find common ground with my pro-sports contemporaries, a mutual disinterest in Soccer.

Ignoring the World Cup along with the rest of America has given me a sense of community I've never felt before. This feeling of belonging and like mindedness must be what attracts people to sports. It's intoxicating. Man, I hope the World Cup never ends!

1 Comments:

Blogger mikeD said...

what is this world cup you speak of? until this post I thought everyone was talking about the worlds leading manufacturer of athletic supporters. The World's cup, we've got your balls.

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home